Document Type : Original Research Paper
Department of Physics, Faculty of Science, Federal University of Lafia, Nigeria
Department of Geophysics, School of Physical Science, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria
A new exploration technique called Thorium Normalisation Method has been applied on the airborne radiometric data of the Bornu basin and its environs to delineate favourable zones for hydrocarbon accumulations within the study area. This method is significant because it indicates the probable presence of hydrocarbon in a sedimentary basin. Separation of the radiospectrometric measurements over each lithologic unit and the estimation of the characteristic statistics of these units were carried out. The statistical treatment applied on the radioelements (K, eTh and eU) of the study area shows a relatively low coefficient of variability (CV%) value for K, eTh and eU signifying their high degree of homogeneity. The mean value of the radioelements (K ranging from 0.6 to 2.0 %; Th ranging from 9.6 to 15.9 ppm and U ranging from 2.2 to 3.8 ppm) obtained from the statistical analysis correlates with the mean of natural radioelement (K ranging from 0.1 to 2.7 %; Th ranging from 0.4 to 11.2 ppm and U ranging from 0.1 to 3.7 ppm) content of sedimentary rocks which corresponds to shale, the main source rock for hydrocarbon accumulation in the study area. The DRAD (delineation of radioactive anomalies) result ranges from -0.77 to 1.83. The positive values are indicators of favourable zones for the presence of hydrocarbon accumulations. These results suggest that the preliminary information obtained from the use of the thorium normalisation method will guide the exploration of hydrocarbon in the study area.
- Aderoju AB, Ojo SB, Adepelumi AA, Edino F (2016) A reassessment of hydrocarbon prospectivity of the Chad Basin, Nigeria, using magnetic hydrocarbon indicators from high resolution aeromagnetic imaging, Ife Journal of Science 18(2):503-520.
- Ajakaiye DE, Burke KC (1973) A bouger gravity map of Nigeria. Tectonophysics 16: 103-115.
- Ajana O, Udensi EE, Momoh M, Rai JK, Muhammad SB (2014). Spectral depths estimate of subsurface structures in parts of Borno Basin, Northeastern Nigeria, using aeromagnetic data. IOSR Journal of Applied Geology and Geophysics 2(2): 55-60.
- Al-Alfy IM (2009) Radioactivity and reservoir characteristics of lower Miocene rocks in Belayim marine oil field. Ph.D. Thesis, Faculty of Science, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt, p 174.
- Al-Alfy IM, Nabih MA, Eysa EA (2013) Gamma ray spectrometry logs as a hydrocarbon indicator for clastic reservoir rocks in Egypt. Applied Radiation Isotope 73:90–95.
- Anakwuba EK, Augustine C (2012) Re-evaluation of hydrocarbon potential of eastern part of the Chad Basin, Nigeria: An Aeromagnetic approach. Search and discovery Article 10405.
- Anakwuba EK, Onwumesi AG, Chinwuko AI, Onuba LN (2011) The interpretation of aeromagnetic anomalies over Maiduguri-Dikwa depression, Chad Basin, Nigeria: A Structural Review. Archive of Applied Science Research 3(3): 1757-1766.
- Avbovbo AA, Ayoola EO, Osahon GA (1986) Depositional and structural styles in Chad Basin of northeastern Nigeria. Bulletin American Association Petroleum Geologists 70: 1787-1798.
- Bazoobandi MH, Arian MA, Emami MH, Tajbakhsh G, Yazdi A (2016) Petrology and Geochemistry of Dikes in the North of Saveh in Iran, Open journal of marine science 6(02): 210-222.
- Benkhelil J (1988) Structure et Evolution Geodynamique du Bassin Intracontinental de la5Benoue (Nigeria). Bulletin Centres Recherches Exploration- Production Elf-Aquitaine 12: 29-128.
- Benkhelil J, Guiraud B, Ponsard JF, Saugy L (1989) Bornu-Benue trough, the Niger Delta and its offshore: tectono-sedimentary reconstruction during the Cretaceous and Tertiary from geophysical data and geology. In Kogbe, C,A., (ed): Geology of Nigeria, Abiprint and Pak Lts., Ibadan: 277-309.
- Burke KC, Dewey JF (1974) Two plates in Africa during the Cretaceous. Nature, 249, 313-316.
- Carter JD, Barber W, Tait EA, Jones GP (1963) The Geology of parts of Adamawa, Bauchi and Bornu Provinces in north-eastern Nigeria. Bulletin Geological Survey Nigeria 30: 1-99.
- Cratchley CR, Jones GP (1965) An interpretation of the geology and gravity anomalies of the Benue valley, Nigeria. Overseas Geological Surveys Geophysical paper 1: 1-26.
- DeKlasz I (1978) The West African sedimentary basins. In M. Moulade and A.E.N., Nairin (Eds.) the Phanerozic geology of the world, 11, the Mezozoic, Reihe A. Amstedam, Elsevier: 371-399.
- El-Sadek MA (2002) Application of thorium-normalized airborne radio-spectrometric survey data of Wadi Araba area, Northeastern Desert, Egypt, as a guide to the recognition of probable subsurface petroleum accumulations. Applied Radiation Isotope 57:121–130.
- El-Sadek MA, Ammar AA, Omraan MA, Abuelkeir HM (2007) Exploration for hydrocarbon prospects using aerial spectral radiometric survey data in Egypt. Kuwait Journal of Science Engineering 34(2A): 133–160.
- Galbraith JH, Saunders DF (1983) Rock classification by characteristics of aerial gamma-ray measurements: Journal of Geochemical Exploration 18: 47-73.
- Genik GJ (1992) Regional framework, structural and petroleum aspects of Rift Basins in Niger, Chad and the Central African Republic (C.A.R.). Tectonophysics 213:169-185.
- Genik GJ (1993) Petroleum geology of the Cretaceous-Tertiary Rift Basins in Niger, Chad and the Central African Republic. Bulletin American Association Petroleum Geologists 77: 1405-1434.
- Isogun MA (2005) Quantitative interpretation of aeromagnetic data of Chad Basin, Bornu State, Nigeria.Unpublished.M.sc. Thesis, O.A.U Ile- Ife.
- Kheiri Namin O, Ashja Ardalan A, Razavi MH, Gourabjeripour A, Yazdi A (2015) Mineral Chemistry Studies and Evidences For Magma Mixing of Bala Zard Basic- Intermediate Volcanic Rocks, Lut Block, Iran, Current World Environment 10 (Special Issue 1), 1194-1205
- Lawal TO, Nwankwo LI (2014) Wavelet analysis of high resolution aeromagnetic data over part of Chad Basin, Nigeria. Ilorin Journal of Science (1): 110-120.
- Lawal TO, Nwankwo LI, Akoshile CO (2015) Wavelet Analysis of Aeromagnetic Data of Chad Basin, Nigeria. The African Review of Physics 10: 0016.
- Matheis G (1976) Short review of the geology of the Chad Basin in Nigeria. In C.A., Kogbe, Geology of Nigeria, (pp 289-294). Elizabethan Publication Company, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Mazadiego L (1994) Desarrollo de Una Metodologia Para La Prospecting Geoquimica En Suoerficie de Combustible Fosiles. Tesis de Doctorado. Madrid: 1-353.
- Mollai M, Dabiri R, Torshizian HA, Pe-Piper G, Wang W (2019) Cadomian crust of Eastern Iran: evidence from the Tapeh Tagh granitic gneisses, International Geology Review (in press).
- Nigm AA, Youssef MAS, Abdelwahab FM (2018) Airborne Gamma-ray Spectrometric data as a guide for probable hydrocarbon accumulations at Al-Laqitah area, central eastern desert of Egypt, Applied Radiation and Isotopes 132: 38 – 46.
- Nwankwo CN, Emujakporue GO, Nwosu LI (2012) Evaluation of the petroleum potentials and prospect of the Chad Basin Nigeria from heat flow and gravity data. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology 2(1): 1-6.
- Obaje NG (2009) Geology and Mineral Resources of Nigeria. Lecture Notes in Earth Sciences. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg.
- Okosun EA (1992) Cretaceous ostracod biostratigraphy from Chad basin in Nigeria. Journal of African Earth Science 14(3): 327-339.
- Okosun EA (1995) Review of the Geology of Bornu Basin. Journal Mining and Geology 31: 113-122.
- Olabode SO, Adekoya JA, Ola PS (2015) Distribution of sedimentary formations in the Bornu Basin, Nigeria, Petroleum Exploration and Development 42(5): 674–682.
- Olugbemiro RO, Ligouis B, Abaa SI (1997) The Cretaceous series in the Chad Basin, NE Nigeria: source rock potential and thermal maturiy. Journal of Petroleum Geology 20:51–68.
- Oteze GE, Fatose EA (1988) Regional Developments in hydrogeology of the Chad basin. Water Resources, Journal of Nigerian Association 1(1): 9-29.
- Petters SW, Ekweozor CM (1982) Petroleum geology of the Benue Trough and South-Eastern Chad Basin, Nigeria. AAPG Bull 66:1141–1149.
- Salazar S, Castillo L, Montes L, Martinez F (2018) Utilizing the radiometric and seismic methods for hydrocarbon prospecting in the Rancheria sub-basin in Colombia. Applied Radiation and Isotopes140: 238-246.
- Saunders DF (1989) Simplified evaluation of soil magnetic susceptibility and soil gas hydrocarbon anomalies: Association of Petroleum Geochemical Explorationists Bulletin 5(1): 30-48
- Saunders DF, Burson KR, Branch JF, Thompson CK (1993) Relation of thorium-normalized surface and aerial radiometric data to subsurface petroleum accumulations. Geophysics 58:1417–1427.
- Saunders DF, Burson, KR, Thompson CK (1991) Relationship of soil magnetic susceptibility and soil gas hydrocarbon measurements to subsurface petroleum accumulations: Bulletin of the American Association of Petroleum Geology 75: 389-408.
- Saunders DF, Terry SA, Thompson CK (1987) Test of national uranium resource evaluation gamma-ray spectral data in petroleum reconnaissance. Geophysics 52: 1547–1556.
- Schumacher D (2000) Surface geochemical exploration for oil and gas: new life for an old technology. The Leading Edge 19(3): 258-261.
- Shuyun X, Qiuming C, Gao C, Zhijun C, Zhengyu B (2007) Application of local singularity in prospecting potential oil/gas targets. Nonlinear process. Geophysics 14(3), 285-292.
- Skupio R, Barberes GA (2017) Spectrometric gamma radiation of shale cores applied to sweet spot discrimination in Eastern Pomerania, Poland, Acta Geophys 65:1219–1227.
- Walker S, Harmen K, Donovan D (2018) Airborne Gamma-ray surveying in Hydrocarbon Exploration. GeoConvention, Canada.
- Yazdi A, ShahHoseini E, Razavi R (2016) AMS, A method for determining magma flow in Dykes (Case study: Andesite Dyke). Research Journal of Applied Sciences 11(3): 62-67.