Document Type : Original Research Paper
Department of Geology, Zahedan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Zahedan, Iran
Department of Geology, Earth Sciences Research Center, Zahedan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Zahedan, Iran
Department of Geology, Mashhad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Mashhad, Iran
Hydrogeochemical characteristics of groundwater and its suitability for domestic and irrigation, purposes were evaluated in Konaro ophiolitic area. Heavy metals pollution is accounted for a major pollution in the natural environment are that can pose a serious threat to ecosystems because of their biodegradation potential, toxicity and sustainability (Moslempour and Shahdadi 2013) 8 representative groundwater samples were collected from wells and qanat and analyzed for major cations and anions. The order of dominance of cation and anions were Na> HCO3> SO4 > Mg> Cl> Ca> K, respectively. The rock weathering and dissolution of minerals processes, especially ophiolitic rocks minerals are dominant in controlling the groundwater quality in the study area. Electrical conductivity (EC) and total dissolved solid (TDS) show high positive correlation with total Hardness (TH), K, Na, and SO4-. As per the WHO standards for domestic water purposes, majority of samples show that the groundwater is suitable for drinking. The spatial distribution maps of physicochemical parameters were prepared in ArcGIS. The suitability of groundwater for agriculture purpose was evaluated from EC, TDS, sodium adsorption ratio (SAR) and Na% which ranges from excellent to not suitable, so majority of the groundwater samples are suitable for irrigation. The results revealed that the GQI quality index varied between 89% and 91% in the Konaro area, which in terms of quality rating, the water samples from these resources laid in appropriate to acceptable range. Moreover, based on examining the zoning map, the GQI quality index accounted for the lowest value in the east direction of the study area. Thus, most of the groundwater samples from this study (sample W2) confirm the beneficial use of aquifers in the area for domestic, agricultural, and irrigation purposes.
- Apha A (1995) WEF, 1998, Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater 20.
- Ayers R, Westcot D (1985) Water quality for agriculture. Irrigation and Drainage Paper No. 29, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: Rome.
- Ayers R, Westcot D (1994) Water quality for agriculture. FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 29 Rev. 1. FAO, Rome.
- Babiker IS, Mohamed MA, Hiyama T (2007) Assessing groundwater quality using GIS, Water Resources Management 21:699-715.
- Beyene G, Aberra D, Fufa F (2019) Evaluation of the suitability of groundwater for drinking and irrigation purposes in Jimma Zone of Oromia, Ethiopia, Groundwater for Sustainable Development 9:100216.
- Dabiri R, Hagdoust H, Arjmandzadeh R (2018) Geochemical Distribution of Heavy Metals and Assessment of Environmental Indicators in Chah-Shaljami Polymetal Ore deposit, South of Birjand, Iran. Geopersia 8(2): 307-317.
- Davis SN, DeWiest RJ (1966) Hydrogeology.
- Dessie N (2010) Water balance and groundwater quality of Koraro area, Tigray, Northern Ethiopia, Momona Ethiopian Journal of Science 2:110-127.
- Ewaid SH (2017) Water quality evaluation of Al-Gharraf river by two water quality indices, Applied Water Science 7:3759-3765.
- Freeze R, Cherry J (1979) 1979, Groundwater. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Hem JD (1991) Study and interpretation of the chemical characteristics of natural water.
- Jameel AA, Sirajudeen J (2006) Risk Assessment of Physico-Chemical Contaminants in Groundwater of Pettavaithalai Area, Tiruchirappalli, Tamilnadu–India, Environmental monitoring and assessment 123:299-312.
- Jeevanandam M, Kannan R, Srinivasalu S, Rammohan V (2007) Hydrogeochemistry and groundwater quality assessment of lower part of the Ponnaiyar River Basin, Cuddalore district, South India, Environmental monitoring and assessment 132:263-274.
- Khadam IM, Kaluarachchi JJ (2006) Water quality modeling under hydrologic variability and parameter uncertainty using erosion-scaled export coefficients, Journal of Hydrology 330:354-367.
- Kumar M, Kumari K, Ramanathan A, Saxena R (2007) A comparative evaluation of groundwater suitability for irrigation and drinking purposes in two intensively cultivated districts of Punjab, India, Environmental Geology 53:553-574.
- Laurent M, François A, Marie MJ (2010) Assessment of groundwater quality during dry season in southeastern Brazzaville, Congo, International journal of applied biology and pharmaceutical technology 1:762-769.
- Mahdavi M (2005) Applied Hydrology, Volume II. Tehran University Press,(4th ed.), Tehran.
- Mosaferi M, Pourakbar M, Shakerkhatibi M, Fatehifar E, Belvasi M (2014) Quality modeling of drinking groundwater using GIS in rural communities, northwest of Iran, Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering 12:99.
- Patel V, Parikh P (2013) Assessment of seasonal variation in water quality of River Mini, at Sindhrot, Vadodara, International journal of environmental sciences 3:1424-1436.
- Piper AM (1944) A graphic procedure in the geochemical interpretation of water‐analyses, Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union 25:914-928.
- Raju NJ (2007) Hydrogeochemical parameters for assessment of groundwater quality in the upper Gunjanaeru River basin, Cuddapah District, Andhra Pradesh, South India, Environmental Geology 52:1067-1074.
- Rao NS (2006) Seasonal variation of groundwater quality in a part of Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh, India, Environmental Geology 49:413-429.
- Salinity Laboratory Staff U (1954) Diagnosis and improvement of saline and alkali soils, vol 60. US Department of Agriculture Washington, DC.
- Sappa G, Ergul S, Ferranti F, Sweya LN, Luciani G (2015) Effects of seasonal change and seawater intrusion on water quality for drinking and irrigation purposes, in coastal aquifers of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, Journal of African Earth Sciences 105:64-84.
- Seth ON, Tagbor TA, Bernard O (2014) Assessment of chemical quality of groundwater over some rock types in Ashanti region, Ghana, Am J Sci Ind Res 5:1-6.
- Shanmugam P, Ambujam N (2012) A hydrochemical and geological investigation on the Mambakkam mini watershed, Kancheepuram District, Tamil Nadu, Environmental monitoring and assessment 184:3293-3306.
- Shube H (2011) Carbon Dioxide-Water-Rock Interaction and Hydrogeochemical Evolution of Thermal and Cold Ground Waters in Wonchi Crater Lake and Ambo-Woliso area. Addis Ababa Universty
- Singh VK, Bikundia DS, Sarswat A, Mohan D (2012) Groundwater quality assessment in the village of Lutfullapur Nawada, Loni, District Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, India, Environmental monitoring and assessment 184:4473-4488.
- Subramani T, Elango L, Damodarasamy S (2005) Groundwater quality and its suitability for drinking and agricultural use in Chithar River Basin, Tamil Nadu, India, Environmental Geology 47:1099-1110.
- Todd D (1980) Groundwater Hydrology. 2nd Edn. Jhon Wiley and Sons, Inc New York 10016:267-325.
- Vasanthavigar M, Srinivasamoorthy K, Vijayaragavan K, Ganthi RR, Chidambaram S, Anandhan P, Manivannan R, Vasudevan S (2010) Application of water quality index for groundwater quality assessment: Thirumanimuttar sub-basin, Tamilnadu, India, Environmental monitoring and assessment 171:595-609.
- WHO (1993) Guidelines for drinking-water quality. World Health Organization,
- WHO (2006) Guidelines for drinking-water quality [electronic resource]: incorporating first addendum. Vol. 1, Recommendations.
- Yang H-j, Shen Z-m, Zhang J-p, Wang W-h (2007) Water quality characteristics along the course of the Huangpu River (China), Journal of Environmental Sciences 19:1193-1198.