Document Type : Original Research Paper
Department of Earth Sciences, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Seismology, Institute of Geophysics, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
As one of the ways to identify seismological characteristics in the region, determining the quality factor of seismic mapping can provide valuable information about inside the earth. This study investigates local site effects as a function of frequency and presents a new relationship for determining the quality factor in northwestern Iran with regard to local site effects. These sites are selected so that their signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) is greater than 5. This study uses the Short-Time Fourier Transform (STFT) method in which a fixed time window and its multiplication by a given signal are used. The coefficients resulting from this transformation are considered as wave amplitudes at any frequency by performing a short-time Fourier transform. The amount of power spectrum decay is used instead of the ground displacement amplitude decay. Local site effects and kappa, a function of the path and site effects, were investigated and became the basis of spectral decay calculations. The results of this study were compared with those of the previous study based on conventional and classical methods and the accuracy of the methods was evaluated using standard deviation (SD) values. Finally, the quality factor equations were obtained for the North-South component (N-S) as Q(f)=(78±2)f^((1.37±0.02)), for the East-West component (E-W) as Q(f)=(62±2)f^((1.5±0.03)), and for the vertical component (Z) as Q(f)=(87±2)f^((1.29±0.03)).
- The authors wish to acknowledge the Iranian Seismological Center (IRSC) for providing the required waveforms for this study. We are thankful anonymous reviewers whose suggestions significantly helped in improving the paper.
- Aki K (1980) Attenuation of shear-waves in the lithosphere for frequencies from 0.05 to 25 Hz, Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 21:50-60.
- Aki K, Chouet B (1975) Origin of coda waves: source, attenuation, and scattering effects, Journal of geophysical research 80:3322-3342.
- Amiri Fard R, Javan Doloei G, Rahimi H, Farrokhi M (2019) Attenuation of P and S waves in Western part of Iran, Geophysical Journal International 218:1143-1156.
- Anderson J, Quaas R (1988) The Mexico earthquake of September 19, 1985—Effect of magnitude on the character of strong ground motion: An example from the Guerrero, Mexico strong motion network, Earthquake Spectra 4:635-646.
- Bavali K, Motaghi K, Sobouti F, Ghods A, Abbasi M, Priestley K, Mortezanejad G, Rezaeian M (2016) Lithospheric structure beneath NW Iran using regional and teleseismic travel-time tomography, Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 253:97-107.
- Benz HM, Frankel A, Boore DM (1997) Regional Lg attenuation for the continental United States, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 87:606-619.
- Boore DM (2003) Simulation of ground motion using the stochastic method, Pure and applied geophysics 160:635-676.
- Boore DM (2004), “Long-period ground motions from digital acceleration recordings: a new era in engineering seismology”, Proceedings of the International Workshop on Future Directions in Instrumentation for Strong Motion and Engineering Seismology. Kluwer: Kusadasi, Turkey. Bora N, Biswas R (2017) Quantifying regional body wave attenuation in a seismic prone zone of northeast India, Pure and Applied Geophysics 174:1953-1963.
- Bora N, Biswas R (2017) Quantifying Regional Body Wave Attenuation in a Seismic Prone Zone of Northeast India, Pure and Applied Geophysics 174: 1953-1963.
- De Siena L, Amoruso A, Pezzo ED, Wakeford Z, Castellano M, Crescentini L (2017) Space‐weighted seismic attenuation mapping of the aseismic source of Campi Flegrei 1983–1984 unrest, Geophysical Research Letters 44:1740-1748.
- Fard RA, Javan-Doloei G, Farrokhi M, Rahimi H, Mahood M (2020) Coda wave attenuation's dependency on Lapse time and frequency in west of Iran plateau using local earthquakes, Annals of Geophysics 63:437.
- Farrokhi M, Hamzehloo H (2017) Body wave attenuation characteristics in the crust of Alborz region and North Central Iran, Journal of Seismology 21:631-646.
- Farrokhi M, Hamzehloo H, Rahimi H, Allamehzadeh M (2015) Estimation of coda‐wave attenuation in the central and eastern Alborz, Iran, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 105:1756-1767.
- Fehler M, Hoshiba M, Sato H, Obara K (1992) Separation of scattering and intrinsic attenuation for the Kanto-Tokai region, Japan, using measurements of S-wave energy versus hypocentral distance, Geophysical Journal International 108:787-800.
- Gabor D (1946) Theory of communication. Part 1: The analysis of information, Journal of the Institution of Electrical Engineers-Part III: Radio and Communication Engineering 93:429-441.
- Heidari R, Mirzaei N (2017) Region-specific S-wave attenuation for earthquakes in northwestern Iran, Journal of Seismology 21:1335-1344.
- Hessami K, Jamali F, Tabassi H (2003) Major active faults of Iran, IIEES, Tehran.
- Irandoust MA, Sobouti F, Rahimi H (2016) Lateral and depth variations of coda Q in the Zagros region of Iran, Journal of Seismology 20:197-211.
- Jackson J (1992) Partitioning of strike‐slip and convergent motion between Eurasia and Arabia in eastern Turkey and the Caucasus, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 97:12471-12479.
- Jin A, Aki K (1988) Spatial and temporal correlation between coda Q and seismicity in China, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 78:741-769.
- Karakhanian AS, Trifonov VG, Philip H, Avagyan A, Hessami K, Jamali F, Bayraktutan MS, Bagdassarian H, Arakelian S, Davtian V (2004) Active faulting and natural hazards in Armenia, eastern Turkey and northwestern Iran, Tectonophysics 380:189-219.
- Kumar N, Parvez IA, Virk H (2005) Estimation of coda wave attenuation for NW Himalayan region using local earthquakes, Physics of the earth and planetary interiors 151:243-258.
- Kumar R, Gupta S, Singh S, Kumar A (2016) The Attenuation of High‐Frequency Seismic Waves in the Lower Siang Region of Arunachal Himalaya: Q α, Q β, Q c, Q i, and Q s, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 106:1407-1422.
- Lay T, Wallace T (1995) Modern global seismology. Academic, Inc San Diego, CA.
- Liang X, Sandvol E, Kay S, Heit B, Yuan X, Mulcahy P, Chen C, Brown L, Comte D, Alvarado P (2014) Delamination of southern Puna lithosphere revealed by body wave attenuation tomography, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 119:549-566.
- Lin G (2014) Three‐dimensional compressional wave attenuation tomography for the crust and uppermost mantle of northern and central California, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 119:3462-3477.
- Mahood M, Hamzehloo H (2011) Variation of intrinsic and scattering attenuation of seismic waves with depth in the Bam region, East-Central Iran, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 31:1338-1346.
- McNamara D (2000) Frequency dependent Lg attenuation in south‐central Alaska, Geophysical research letters 27:3949-3952.
- Motazedian D (2006) Region-specific key seismic parameters for earthquakes in northern Iran, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 96:1383-1395.
- Riaz MS, Bin S, Naeem S, Kai W, Xie Z, Gilani SM, Ashraf U. (2019) Over 100 years of faults interaction, stress accumulation, and creeping implications, on Chaman Fault System, Pakistan. International Journal of Earth Sciences 108(4):1351-1359.
- Singh S, Herrmann RB (1983) Regionalization of crustal coda Q in the continental United States, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 88:527-538.
- Spencer T, Sonnad J, Butler T (1982) Seismic Q-Stratigraphy or dissipation, Geophysics 47:16-24.
- Takemura S, Kobayashi M, Yoshimoto K (2017) High-frequency seismic wave propagation within the heterogeneous crust: effects of seismic scattering and intrinsic attenuation on ground motion modelling, Geophysical Journal International 210:1806-1822.
- Vernant P, Nilforoushan F, Chery J, Bayer R, Djamour Y, Masson F, Nankali H, Ritz J-F, Sedighi M, Tavakoli F (2004) Deciphering oblique shortening of central Alborz in Iran using geodetic data, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 223:177-185.
- Vernosfaderani SLJ, Heidari R, Mirzaei N, Rahimi H, Meshinchi-Asl M (2019) Coda wave attenuation in the northwestern Iran, using short time Fourier transform, Journal of Seismology 23:1085-1095.
- Yoshimoto K, Takemura S, Kobayashi M (2015) Application of scattering theory to P-wave amplitude fluctuations in the crust, Earth, Planets and Space 67:199.