Document Type : Original Research Paper
Department of Geology, North Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Geology, South Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
The main aim of this study was to outline the lithium anomalies by a regional exploration, at an area of 7800 km2, in Semnan province (north central Iran) using the Staged Factor Analysis (SFA) and Spectrum-Area (S-A) fractal model based on stream sediments and rock samples. Results derived via the SFA denote that Li was located in a factor as F2-4 with B, Cs, U and Rb which was utilized for calculation of the threshold values by the S-A method. The F2-4 data were classified by the fractal model for determination of the Li anomalies. Main anomaly for F2-4≥ 1.5 was situated in the SW and northern parts of this region. Furthermore, Li high grades of rock samples were correlated with main F2-4 anomalies. The main anomalies were correlated with geological particulars of Li mineralization types which represent that the main F2-4 anomalies associate with volcanic and tuff units in the SW part, and overlapped with clay minerals in the northern sector of this region. On the other hand, there are proper potential for Li mineralization which is demonstrated by this method.
- Afzal P, Ahmadi K, Rahbar K (2017a) Application of fractal-wavelet analysis for separation of geochemical anomalies. Journal of African Earth Sciences 128: 27-36.
- Afzal P, Alghalandis YF, Moarefvand P, Omran NR, Haroni HA (2012) Application of power-spectrum-volume fractal method for detecting hypogene, supergene enrichment, leached and barren zones in Kahang Cu porphyry deposit, Central Iran. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 112: 131–138.
- Afzal P, Harati H, Alghalandis YF, Yasrebi AB (2013) Application of spectrum–area fractal model to identify of geochemical anomalies based on soil data in Kahang porphyry-type Cu deposit, Iran. Chemie der Erde/Geochemistry 73: 533– 543.
- Afzal P, Heidari SM, Ghaderi M, Yasrebi AB (2017b) Determination of mineralization stages using correlation between geochemical fractal modeling and geological data in Arabshah sedimentary rock-hosted epithermal gold deposit, NW Iran. Ore Geology Reviews 91: 278-295.
- Afzal P, Khakzad A, Moarefvand P, Omran NR, Esfandiari B, Alghalandis YF (2010) Geochemical anomaly separation by multifractal modeling in Kahang (Gor Gor) porphyry system, Central Iran, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 104: 34-46.
- Afzal P, Yasrebi AB, Saein LD, Panahi S (2017c) Prospecting of Ni mineralization based on geochemical exploration in Iran. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 181: 294-304.
- Afzal P, Yusefi M, Mirzaie M, Ghadiri-Sufi E, Ghasemzadeh S (2019) Delineation of podiform-type chromite mineralization using Geochemical Mineralization Prospectivity Index (GMPI) and staged factor analysis in Balvard area (southern Iran). Journal of Mining and Environment 10, 705-715.
- Aghanabati A (2004) Geology of Iran. Geological Survey of Iran Publication. 586 p (in Persian).
- Agterberg FP, Cheng Q, Brown A, Good D. Multifractal (1996) Multifractal modeling of fractures in the Lac du Bonnet batholith, Manitoba. Computers and Geosciences 22 (5), 497-507.
- Shahsavari MA, Afzal P, Hekmatnejad A (2020) Identification of geochemical anomalies using fractal and LOLIMOT neuro-fuzzy modeling in Mial area, Central Iran. Journal of Mining and Environment 11: 99-117.
- Chen G, Cheng Q (2018) Fractal-Based Wavelet Filter for Separating Geophysical or Geochemical Anomalies from Background. Mathematical Geosciences 50: 249–272.
- Cheng Q (1999) Spatial and scaling modelling for geochemical anomaly separation. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 65 (3): 175–194.
- Cheng Q, Agterberg FP, Ballantyne SB. (1994) The separation of geochemical anomalies from background by fractal methods. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 51: 109–130.
- Daneshvar Saein L, Rasa I, Rashidnejad Omran N, Moarefvand P, Afzal P (2012) Application of concentration-volume fractal method in induced polarization and resistivity data interpretation for Cu-Mo porphyry deposits exploration, case study: Nowchun Cu-Mo deposit, SE Iran. Nonliner Processes in Geophysics 19: 431–438.
- Daneshvar Saein L, Rasa I, Rashidnejad Omran N, Moarefvand P, Afzal P (2014) Application of number-size (N-S) fractal model to quantify of the vertical distributions of Cu and Mo in Nowchun porphyry deposit (Kerman, SE Iran). Archives of Mining Sciences 58: 1, 89–105.
- Daneshvar Saein L, Afzal P (2017) Correlation between Mo mineralization and faults using geostatistical and fractal modeling in porphyry deposits of Kerman Magmatic Belt, SE Iran. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 181: 33-343.
- Davis JC (2002) Statistics and data analysis in Geology (3th ed.). John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York.
- Farahmandfar Z, Jafari MR, Afzal P, Ashja Ardalan A (2020) Description of gold and copper anomalies using fractal and stepwise factor analysis according to stream sediments in NW Iran. Geopersia 10 (1):135-148.
- Fyzollahhi N, Torshizian H, Afzal P, Jafari MR (2018) Determination of lithium prospects using fractal modeling and staged factor analysis in Torud region, NE Iran. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 189: 2-10.
- Ghasemzadeh S, Maghsoudi A, Yousefi M, Mihalasky MJ (2019) Stream sediment geochemical data analysis for district-scale mineral exploration targeting: Measuring the performance of the spatial U-statistic and C-A fractal modeling. Ore Geology Reviews 113: 103115.
- Gourcerol B, Gloaguen E, Melleton J, Tuduri J, Galiegue X (2020) Re-assessing the European lithium resource potential – A review of hard-rock resources and metallogeny. Ore Geology Reviews 109: 494-519.
- Hawkes HE, Webb JS (1979) Geochemistry in mineral exploration, 2nd ed. Academic Press, New York, 657 p.
- Hassanpour Sh, Afzal P (2013) Application of concentration-number (C-N) multifractal modelling for geochemical anomaly separation in Haftcheshmeh porphyry system, NW Iran. Arabian Journal of Geosciences 6: 957–970.
- Heidari M, Ghaderi M, Afzal P (2013) Delineating mineralized phases based on lithogeochemical data using multifractal model in Touzlar epithermal Au-Ag (Cu) deposit, NW Iran. Applied Geochemistry 31: 119-132.
- Kesler SE, Gruber PW, Medina PA, Keoleian GA, Everson MP, Wallington TJ (2012) Global lithium resources: Relative importance of pegmatite, brine and other deposits. Ore Geology Reviews 48: 55–69.
- Khalili H, Afzal P (2018) Application of spectrum-volume fractal modeling for detection of mineralized zones. Journal of Mining and Environment 9: 371-378.
- London D (2008) Pegmatites. Can. Mineral. Spec. Publ. 10, 347.
- Mahdavi M, Dabiri R, Hosseini ES (2015) Magmatic evolution and compositional characteristics of tertiary volcanic rocks associated with the Venarch manganese mineralization, SW Qom, central Iran. Earth Sciences Research Journal 19(2):141-5.
- Mandelbrot BB (1983) The Fractal Geometry of Nature: W. H. Freeman. San Fransisco, 468 p.
- Mirzaei M, Afzal P, Adib A, Rahimi E, Mohammadi Gh (2020) Detection of zones based on ore and gangue using fractal and multivariate analysis in Chah Gaz iron ore deposit, Central Iran. Journal of Mining and Environment 11(2), 453-466.
- Modabberi S, Ahmadi A, Tangestani MH (2017) Sub-pixel mapping of alunite and jarosite using ASTER data; a case study from north of Semnan, north central Iran. Ore Geology Reviews 80: 429-436.
- Nabavi MH (1987) 1:100,000 geological map of Semnan Geological Survey of Iran.
- Ostadhosseini A, Barati M, Afzal P, Lee I. (2018) Polymetallic mineralization prospecting using fractal and staged factor analysis in Ardestan area, Central of Iran. Geopersia 8: 279-292.
- Reimann C, Filzmoser P, Garrett RG (2005) Background and threshold: critical comparison of methods of determination. Science of the Total Environment 346: 1–16.
- Saadati H, Afzal P, Torshizian H, Solgi A (2020) Geochemical exploration for Li using Geochemical Mapping Prospectivity Index (GMPI), fractal and Stage Factor Analysis (SFA) in NE Iran. Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis (In press).
- Soltani F, Moarefvand P, Alinia F, Afzal P (2020) Detection of Main Rock Type for Rare Earth Elements (REEs) Mineralization Using Staged Factor and Fractal Analysis in Gazestan Iron-Apatite Deposit, Central Iran. Geopersia 10(1): 89-99.
- Yazdi A, Shahhosini E, Dabiri R, Abedzadeh H (2019) Magmatic differentiation evidences and source characteristics using mineral chemistry in the Torud intrusion (Northern Iran). Revista Geoaraguaia 9(2): 1-21.
- Yazdi A, Ashja-Ardalan A, Emami MH, Dabiri R, Foudazi M (2017) Chemistry of Minerals and Geothermobarometry of Volcanic Rocks in the Region Located in Southeast of Bam, Kerman Province. Open Journal of Geology 7(11): 1644-1653.
- Yousefi M, Kamkar-Rouhani A, Carranza EJ (2012) Geochemical mineralization probability index (GMPI): A new approach to generate enhanced stream sediment geochemical evidential map for increasing probability of success in mineral potential mapping. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 115: 24-35.
- Yousefi M, Kamkar-Rouhani A, Carranza EJ (2014) Application of staged factor analysis and logistic function to create a fuzzy stream sediment geochemical evidence layer for mineral prospectivity mapping. Geochemistry: Exploration, Environmental, Analysis 14: 45-58.
- Yousefi M, Kreuzer OP, Nykänen V, Hronsky JM (2019) Exploration information systems – A proposal for the future use of GIS in mineral exploration targeting. Ore Geology Reviews 111: 103005.
- Zuo R (2014) Identification of geochemical anomalies associated with mineralization in the Fanshan district, Fujian, China. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 139: 170–176.
- Zuo R, Wang J (2016) Fractal/multifractal modeling of geochemical data: A review. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 164: 33-41.