Document Type : Original Research Paper
Department of Geology, North Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Soil Conservation and Watershed Management Research Department, Lorestan Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Center, AREEO, Khoramabad, Iran
The purpose of the present research is delineating geochemical anomaly of REEs in granitoids in south of Varcheh 1:100,000 sheet by the use of C-N fractal model and classical statistical methods. We gathered and studied 59 rock samples for REEs by ICP-MS method in the laboratory of Iran Mineral Processing Research Center (IMPRC). The Concentration–Number (C-N) fractal model was used to delineate elemental thresholds. According to the results, the distribution of elemental concentration for Pr and Sm were divided to three classifications and Ce, La, Nd and Y had five geochemical populations in the area. The classical statistics methods were able to separate three geochemical populations. The results obtained by this study showed that the separation of geochemical anomalies for REEs using C-N fractal model and classical statistics methods yielded to the same results. Meanwhile, the high ratio of LREE to HREE in rock samples as well as high P content, assigns monazite, apatite, and sphene as a possible source of REEs in the study area.
- Afzal P, Ahari HD, Omran NR, Aliyari F (2013) Delineation of gold mineralized zones using concentration–volume fractal model in Qolqoleh gold deposit, NW Iran, Ore Geology Reviews 55:125-133.
- Afzal P, Alghalandis YF, Khakzad A, Moarefvand P, Omran NR (2011) Delineation of mineralization zones in porphyry Cu deposits by fractal concentration–volume modeling, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 108:220-232.
- Afzal P, Alghalandis YF, Moarefvand P, Omran NR, Haroni HA (2012) Application of power-spectrum–volume fractal method for detecting hypogene, supergene enrichment, leached and barren zones in Kahang Cu porphyry deposit, Central Iran, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 112:131-138.
- Alavi Naeeni M (2008) Geochemical and heavy mineral exploration in Varcheh 1:100000 sheet, Geological Survey of Iran, (in Persian).
- Alipour Shahsavari M, Afzal P, Hekmatnejad A (2020) Identification of geochemical anomalies using fractal and LOLIMOT neuro-fuzzy modeling in Mial area, Central Iran. Journal of Mining and Environment 11:99-117.
- Arias R, Barona A, Ibarra-Berastegi G, Aranguiz I, Elias A (2012) Assessment of metal contamination in dredged sediments using fractionation and self-organizing maps, Journal of Hazardous Materials 151: 78-85.
- Asadi S, Moore F, Zaresvandi A (2014) Discriminating productive and barren porphyry copper deposits in the southeastern part of the central Iranian volcano-plutonic belt, Kerman region, Iran: a review. Earth-Science Reviews 138: 25-46.
- Carranza EJM (2004) Usefulness of stream order to detect stream sediment geochemical anomalies, Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis 4:341-352.
- Carranza EJM (2009) Controls on mineral deposit occurrence inferred from analysis of their spatial pattern and spatial association with geological features, Ore Geology Reviews 35: 383–400.
- Carranza EJM (2008) Geochemical anomaly and mineral prospectively mapping in GIS. Handbook of exploration and environmental geochemistry 11.
- Carranza EJM, Hale M (1997) A catchment basin approach to the analysis of reconnaissance geochemical-geological data from Albay Province, Philippines, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 60:157-171.
- Cheng Q (1999) Spatial and scaling modelling for geochemical anomaly separation, Journal of Geochemical exploration 65:175-194.
- Cheng Q (2007) Mapping singularities with stream sediment geochemical data for prediction of undiscovered mineral deposits in Gejiu, Yunnan Province, China, Ore Geology Reviews 32:314-324.
- Cheng Q, Agterberg F, Ballantyne S (1994) The separation of geochemical anomalies from background by fractal methods, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 51:109-130.
- Cheng Q, Agterberg FP (1995) Multifractal modeling and spatial point processes, Mathematical Geosciences 27: 831–845.
- Cheng Q, Bonham-Carter G, Wang W, Zhang S, Li W, Qinglin X (2011) A spatially weighted principal component analysis for multi-element geochemical data for mapping locations of felsic intrusions in the Gejiu mineral district of Yunnan, China, Computers & Geosciences 37:662-669.
- Daneshvar-Saein L (2017) Delineation of enriched zones of Mo, Cu and Re by concentration-volume fractal model in Nowchun Mo-Cu porphyry deposit, SE Iran. Iranian Journal of Earth Sciences 9(1): 64–74.
- Davis JC, Sampson RJ (2002) Statistics and data analysis in geology vol 33. Wiley New York et al.,
- Deng J, Wang Q, Yang L, Wang Y, Gong Q, Liu H (2010) Delineation and explanation of geochemical anomalies using fractal models in the Heqing area, Yunnan Province, China, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 105:95-105.
- Farahmandfar Z, Jafari M.R, Afzal P, Ashja Ardalan A, (2020) Description of gold and copper anomalies using fractal and stepwise factor analysis according to stream sediments in NW Iran. Geopersia 10 :135-148.
- Ghaffari M, Rashidnejad-Omran N, Dabiri R, Santos JF, Mata J, Buchs D, McDonald I, Appel P, Garbe-Schönberg D (2015) Interaction between felsic and mafic magmas in the Salmas intrusive complex, Northwestern Iran: Constraints from petrography and geochemistry, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 111: 440-458.
- Gharib-Gorgani F, Ashja-Ardalan A, Espahbod MR, Sheikhzakariaee SJ, Yazdi A (2017) Petrology of Mg-bearing Meta Ophiolite Complexes of Qaen-Gazik, Eastern Iran, National Cave Research and Protection Organization 4(1).
- Ghezelbash R, Maghsoudi A, Daviran M (2019) Prospectivity modeling of porphyry copper deposits: recognition of efficient mono-and multi-element geochemical signatures in the Varzaghan district, NW Iran, Acta Geochimica 38:131-144.
- Hassanpour S, Afzal P (2013) Application of concentration–number (C–N) multifractal modeling for geochemical anomaly separation in Haftcheshmeh porphyry system, NW Iran, Arabian Journal of Geosciences 6:957-970.
- Heidari SM, Ghaderi M, Afzal P (2013) Delineating mineralized phases based on lithogeochemical data using multifractal model in Touzlar epithermal Au–Ag (Cu) deposit, NW Iran, Applied Geochemistry 31:119-132.
- Hosseini SA, Afzal P, Sadeghi B, Sharmad T, Shahrokhi SV, Farhadinejad T (2015) Prospection of Au mineralization based on stream sediments and lithogeochemical data using multifractal modeling in Alut 1: 100,000 sheet, NW Iran, Arabian Journal of Geosciences 8:3867-3879.
- Jehangir Khan M, Ghazi S, Mehmood M, Yazdi A, Naseem AA, Serwar U, Zaheer A, Ullah H (2021) Sedimentological and provenance analysis of the Cretaceous Moro formation Rakhi Gorge, Eastern Sulaiman Range, Pakistan, Iranian Journal of Earth Sciences 13 (4): 251-265.
- Jolliffe IT (2002) Principal Component Analysis. Springer, New York.
- Kaiser HF (1960) The application of electronic computers to factor analysis, Educational and psychological measurement 20:141-151.
- Kouhestani H, Ghaderi M, Afzal P, Zaw K (2020) Classification of pyrite types using fractal and stepwise factor analyses in the Chah Zard gold-silver epithermal deposit, central Iran. Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis 20(4): 496-508.
- Li C, Ma T, Shi J (2003) Application of a fractal method relating concentrations and distances for separation of geochemical anomalies from background, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 77:167-175.
- Mandelbrot BB (1983) The fractal geometry of nature WH Freeman San Francisco USA. WH freeman, San Francisco.
- Mohajjel M (1997) Structure and tectonic evolution of Palaeozoic-Mesozoic rocks, Sanandaj-Sirjan zone, western Iran, (PhD Thesis) University of Wollongong.
- Muller J, Kylander M, Martinez-Cortizas A, Wüst RA, Weiss D, Blake K, Coles B, Garcia-Sanchez R (2008) The use of principle component analyses in characterising trace and major elemental distribution in a 55 kyr peat deposit in tropical Australia: implications to paleoclimate, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 72:449-463.
- Otari M, Dabiri R (2015) Geochemical and environmental assessment of heavy metals in soils and sediments of Forumad Chromite mine, NE of Iran, Journal of Mining and Environmental 6(2): 251-261.
- Pazand K, Hezarkhani A, Ataei M, Ghanbari Y (2011) Application of multifractal modeling technique in systematic geochemical stream sediment survey to identify copper anomalies: a case study from Ahar, Azarbaijan, Northwest Iran, Chemie der Erde-Geochemistry 71:397-402.
- Qingfei W, Jun D, Li W, Jie Z, Qingjie G, Liqiang Y, Lei Z, Zhijun Z (2008) Multifractal Analysis of Element Distribution in Skarn‐type Deposits in the Shizishan Orefield, Tongling Area, Anhui Province, China, Acta Geologica Sinica‐English Edition 82:896-905.
- Rantitsch G (2000) Application of fuzzy clusters to quantify lithological background concentrations in stream-sediment geochemistry, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 71:73-82.
- Sadeghi B, Moarefvand P, Afzal P, Yasrebi AB, Saein LD (2012) Application of fractal models to outline mineralized zones in the Zaghia iron ore deposit, Central Iran, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 122:9-19.
- Sim B, Agterberg FP, Beaudry C (1999) Determining the cutoff between background and relative base metal smelter contamination levels using multifractal methods, Computers & Geosciences 25:1023-1041.
- Stöcklin J (1968) Structural History and Tectonics of Iran1: A Review, AAPG Bulletin 52:1229-1258.
- Turcotte DL (1986) A fractal approach to the relationship between ore grade and tonnage, Economic Geology 81:1528-1532.
- Webb JS, Hawkes HE (1979) Geochemistry in Mineral Exploration by HE Hawkes and JS Webb. Academic, New York.
- Yazdi A, Ashja Ardalan A, Emami MH, Dabiri R, Foudazi M (2019) Magmatic interactions as recorded in plagioclase phenocrysts of quaternary volcanics in SE Bam (SE Iran). Iranian Journal of Earth Sciences 11(3):215-25.
- Yazdi A, ShahHoseini E, Razavi R (2016) AMS, A method for determining magma flow in Dykes (Case study: Andesite Dyke). Research Journal of Applied Sciences11(3): 62-67.
- Zuo R (2011a) Decomposing of mixed pattern of arsenic using fractal model in Gangdese belt, Tibet, China, Applied geochemistry 26:S271-S273.
- Zuo R (2011b) Identifying geochemical anomalies associated with Cu and Pb–Zn skarn mineralization using principal component analysis and spectrum–area fractal modeling in the Gangdese Belt, Tibet (China), Journal of Geochemical Exploration 111:13-22.
- Zuo R, Cheng Q, Xia Q (2009) Application of fractal models to characterization of vertical distribution of geochemical element concentration, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 102:37-43.